Police and Crime Commissioner for West Yorkshire | WYPCC


Police and Crime Commissioners have been elected by the public to hold the Chief Constable of their police force to account and to be the voice of the people they represent, making the police answerable to the communities they serve.

West Yorkshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Mark Burns-Williamson, has a small Casework team to deal with enquiries about policing and community safety. Mark’s Casework team works with the police and other partners to help and advise the people who contact us.

If you would like our help with a policing or community safety matter, please email, telephone or write to us. You can use the Enquiries and Complaints Form (Word 64KB) as a guide to provide us with the information we will need so that we can offer our advice and where things have gone wrong we will try to put things right.


Structure of Team


Casework and Reviews Manager

Casework Officer


When we can help

We are not police officers and Police and the Crime Commissioners have no powers to investigate crimes or direct operational policing matters, including ongoing police investigations. If you wish to report a crime, please contact West Yorkshire Police https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/contact-us

What we can do is ask the police for more information and to ask them to explain and clarify decisions they may have made. We can then advise you about options available and can bring any areas of concern to the Police and Crime Commissioner’s attention.

We can also provide information and advice about police and wider criminal justice processes and can answer general questions about policing across West Yorkshire.


Examples of Casework

Contact from people is so important in understanding our communities and we want to make sure lessons are learnt. We monitor all policing and community safety concerns and issues raised and look at where there are trends. This informs the Police and Crime Commissioner’s campaigns and priorities.

Road safety – the majority of concerns that people tell us about relate to road safety and in particular the dangers caused by some people speeding or parking inconsiderately. Yorkshire Casualty Prevention Partnership is a partnership between the five district councils, the Magistrates’ Courts, Highways and West Yorkshire Police and their task is to reduce deaths and serious injuries on our roads. There is more information about the work they do on their website https://www.safetycameraswestyorkshire.co.uk.

Anti-social behaviour – This is a very broad term used to describe the day to day incidents of crime, nuisance and disorder that make many people’s lives a misery and might include littering, public drunkenness, noisy or abusive neighbours and many types of traffic issues.

Drug dealing – West Yorkshire Police records all reports of drug dealing and drug taking that are made to them. However, it is unlikely that they will be able to tell you immediately what is going to happen as a result of your report.

This is because it can sometimes take a long time to gather enough evidence to make a decision about what action is appropriate. It is important to tell the police if you witness drug activity or, if you’d prefer to make an anonymous report, you can do this via Crimestoppers https://crimestoppers-uk.org.


When we can’t help – Complaints about police officers or police staff

There a number of pieces of legislation that set out how complaints have to be dealt with. The Chief Constable is the ‘Appropriate Authority’ for ensuring complaints about police officers and police staff are handled appropriately and in accordance with the law. Here in West Yorkshire, the Chief Constable delegates his responsibility for handling complaints to the Professional Standards Directorate.

There is more information about how to make a complaint to West Yorkshire Police on their website https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/about-us/our-standards/professional-standards

As a result of changes made to the police complaints system in 2020, Police and Crime Commissioners are now responsible for carrying out reviews of most complaints that have been handled by their police force.

Because of these responsibilities and in order that we remain impartial, it would not be appropriate for this office to intervene or assist in the complaints process. This is because we might be later asked to conduct a review of West Yorkshire Police (WYP)’s handling of the complaint.

If you make a complaint to us about a WYP officer or staff member, we have to pass it to WYP’s Professional Standards Directorate so that they can log it and handle it in the most appropriate way.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I ask West Yorkshire Police to reconsider their decision not to charge someone for a crime that I am the victim of?
Visit https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/form/victims-right-to-review-vrr-

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has decided not to take any further action in respect of a crime where I am the victim. How can I ask them to reconsider their decision?
Visit https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/victims-right-review-scheme

How do I get a speed camera installed on a West Yorkshire road?
Visit https://www.safetycameraswestyorkshire.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/camera-equipment-and-site

How do I complain about a police officer?
Visit https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/about-us/our-standards/professional-standards

How do I get in touch with the police officer who’s dealing with my crime report?
Visit https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/form/leave-an-officer-a-message

Other useful information

Ask the Police

Victim Support

West Yorkshire Police Freedom of Information